Monday 28 November 2011

Now with real maths!

Until now I have avoided putting any mathematical expressions into my posts, mainly because I couldn't find a nice way to go about it. But a little more searching has turned up a script which, among other things, converts simple LaTeX expressions into MathML; it is called ASCIIMathML, and I learned about it here, and its webpage is here.

Hmm… It worked perfectly for me when I tested it, but now I am getting mixed results with Blogger's preview function. Here is a test: I would like to be able to include pretty equations like $\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 1$. Please let me know in the comments whether that is displayed correctly (note that it may initially appear as LaTeX code, but should be converted within a second or two).

Edit: For reasons I don't quite understand, ASCIIMathML wouldn't play nice (perhaps this had something to do with me storing the javascript file on my university webpage?). However, following a suggestion by Anna in the comments, formulae are now being provided by MathJax, and seem to be working. Thanks Anna!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rhys,

    The latex code still looks like latex code both on blogspot and in my RSS reader. Maybe try http://www.mathjax.org/? That's what we use on Quantum Diaries.

    Cheers,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna! MathJax seems like a good option.

    ReplyDelete

You can use LaTeX code in your comments simply by enclosing it in dollar ($) signs.